Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Happy Spring and Sauteed Veggie Quesadilla

Happy Spring!  I’m so glad to see the first day of spring even if it means bad allergies and the beginning of tornado season here.  Everything seems so alive during this time of the year, blooming and coming to life.  I love watching the transformation from the quiet of winter to the rowdy colors of spring.  It’s Mother Nature at her most colorful!

Last night was quiet, the husband worked and I didn’t do anything special.  I worked out (OMG, a speed of 4 with an incline of 2% on the treadmill means walking/jogging for me, I nearly keeled over!).  I took care of feeding all of my furry four-legged children that watched me while I huffed and puffed on through my workout.  My dinner was a little different than I had planned, I only made half of a smoothie last night because I knew I was hungry enough to need something besides that.  I rummaged around in my refrigerator and came up with a sautéed veggie quesadilla, it tasted really good.  The recipe is below but I’m guessing that most people can come up with this one on their own!  There are a lot of different veggies you can put in it, the ones I used were what I had in my refrigerator.

I love corn tortillas, I'm not sure if you have noticed, I use them quite a bit.  They are gluten-free, WW points friendly and just generally yummy.  I have a bit of an addiction to them.  Tonight I’m going to make some chicken, black bean and roasted veggie enchiladas for my lunches the remainder of the week.  I have leftover rotisserie chicken and I need to use it for something.  I love the convenience of those things but I always end up with more chicken than I need.  Solution….make enchiladas!  If they turn out well I will post a recipe tomorrow J

Sautéed Veggie Quesadilla
(Serves 1)

Ingredients:
2 corn tortillas
Olive oil cooking spray (just a bit)
¼ C chopped grape tomatoes (you could use any kind, this is what I had on hand)
1 scallion, chopped
¼ C chopped mushrooms
1 C fresh spinach, torn into smaller pieces
¼ C cheddar cheese, shredded (I used Sargento Off the Block Sharp Cheddar)

Directions:
1.      Cooking the tortillas – I have said this before and I will say it again, if you want your tortillas to not turn out squishy, cook them first.  I use a preheated dry nonstick pan, place the tortillas in one (or two) in the pan at a time and turn when they start getting brown in spots, be careful not to burn.  This makes them stand up to fillings better and I think gives them great flavor…..don’t just throw them in the microwave!
2.      Put the cooked tortillas aside, they don’t need to be kept warm, you will cook them a little more
3.      Let pan cool just a bit then add the cooking spray (otherwise you will smoke up your kitchen!), dump in the tomatoes, scallion and mushrooms and sauté until a little soft, then add the spinach and cook until just wilted, set veggies aside and wipe out pan
4.      Make sure heat is on medium or medium low
5.      Place one tortilla in the pan, spread half the cheese and top with the veggie mixture, top with remaining cheese and other tortilla
6.      Cook until the tortilla is a bit more brown and the cheese has melted, turn it to the other side to do the same
7.      Remove from pan, cut into wedges.  You can serve it with a little salsa (which is what I did) or any of your favorite toppings

No comments:

Post a Comment