Sunday, February 10, 2013

Creamy Tomato/Kale/Kielbasa Soup


Quiet day here in this house.  We had our normal Sunday morning breakfast date, ran some errands and then hung out at home.  It was a windy/rainy day which made me want something comforting.  I decided to make some soup, I love soup, all kinds of soup.  They are hearty, mine are always full of veggies and there is always enough for lunches/quick dinners later on. 

I decided that tomato soup sounded good today, the recipe is my own, I tend to do a lot of recipe creation on the fly.  I had a turkey kielbasa in my refrigerator because I let my husband go grocery shopping on his own a couple of weeks ago.  I added kale because I love kale in soup and it is a good way to get even more veggies in our food.  If you decide to try this recipe use it as a base putting your own twists on it, I really think you could take this one a bunch of different directions, I know I’m going to make it again without the meat and possibly more veggies.

Enjoy!


Creamy Tomato/Kale/Kielbasa Soup

1-2 tsp olive oil
1 Jennie-O turkey kielbasa, cut into bite size pieces
1 large sweet onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 C kale, chopped into bite size pieces
4 T balsamic vinegar (do yourself a favor, use a good one)
¼ C Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins is GF, French’s makes one too)
2 28 oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
1 28 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes
2 cups fat free low sodium beef or chicken broth
1 C heavy cream

     
  1. Warm heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium to medium high heat, add olive oil
  2. Once the oil is warm add the kielbasa to brown (you want to develop the flavors, let the brown bits collect on the bottom of the pot), after it is browned remove to a bowl and cover to keep warm
  3. Add in chopped onion and a bit of salt to help them sweat, cook for two minutes
  4. Add garlic and cook another two minute or until the onions are soft
  5. Pour in the vinegar and Worcestershire sauce (stand back so you don’t get that vinegar nose clearing experience), work the brown bits off of the bottom of the pot
  6. Add all of the tomates and broth, stir well
  7. Drop in the kale, this may be in two steps depending on the size of your pot
  8. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the kale shrinks a bit
  9. Add the kielbasa back in and simmer for another 30 minutes
  10. Add the cream let it come up to temperature with the soup on a very low simmer, keep warm until ready to eat.

Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches on GF bread and you have an easy supper with lots of leftovers for lunches!  The leftovers heat up well and the flavors get a chance to mingle the longer they sit together.

No comments:

Post a Comment