Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Mini Quinoa Quiches - Mexican Style


I moved offices at work today, I finally have a door!  No, you don’t understand, in my office that’s a good thing, I work with some loud people (that I have to admit, I will miss hearing).  I love where I work, the good and the bad, it really is a great place to work.  I’m excited about what to put up on the walls in my new home, I have only ever had cubicle walls to work with.  I’m going to try to come up with something good this weekend.
 
I haven’t cooked the last couple of days which is unusual.  Our dinners have been leftovers out of the freezer.  I was thinking tonight about what I should write about in here and thought maybe I would share some recipes I have discovered on the internet that make great make-ahead breakfasts.  For me breakfast is really my most important meal.  I always wake up hungry and if I don’t have a substantial breakfast then hunger is a problem for the rest of the day.  The recipes below are takeoffs of ones that I have found during my internet searches, there are some great blogs and websites out there that have tasty GF recipes.  I encourage you to go out and look, you will find some good stuff.  Oh, and sign up for Pinterest if you haven’t already, you can collect all of the ones you want to try in one place (have I mentioned I’m a Pinterest addict?)

If you haven’t already been to her site, I recommend you visit Iowa Girl Eats.  She has lots and lots of great recipes.  This isn’t a GF specific website but you can find some REALLY good recipes on here, I have even taken a few and made them GF very easily.  The recipe I love and have reinvented over and over again is the Mini Ham & Cheese Quinoa Cups.  These things are so good you will want to have them every day.  I have even done several variations on them with different flavors.  They freeze beautifully and warm up in the microwave easily for a quick breakfast.  Oh, and they are portable if you want to eat breakfast in the car on your way to work.  Here’s my take on the recipe (I recommend you check the original out on the website, it is accompanied by beautiful step-by-step photographs):

 

Mini Quinoa Quiches – The Mexican Version
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

2 cups cooked quinoa (about ¾ cup uncooked) – I cook it with either FF chicken broth or vegetable broth
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1 cup zucchini, shredded
1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
1/2 cup cooked chorizo
2 green onions, sliced thinly
1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped finely
½ tsp cumin
1 tsp hot sauce (I add more, but I like spicy food)
Salt and pepper (if you are a salt person, I don’t add any, the cheese and chorizo is enough for me)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick spray
  2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine
  3. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until set and edges are slightly browned
  4. Let cool before removing from the muffin tin
  5. If you are making a batch to freeze just wrap up in some freezer plastic wrap, they will freeze really well.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer - this is a goodie. Please do drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com if you are ok with me linking it to my blog (Carole's Chatter). Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole, I will send you an email to confirm but feel free to link to whatever you want on here!

      Delete