Wednesday, March 13, 2013

GF Recipes Are Everywhere!

So, I didn’t cook last night, I was TIRED by the time I got home, I was so tired I put the dog outside and fell asleep the second I sat down.  My poor dog was outside for almost an hour before I woke up and let him back in, luckily the weather wasn’t bad.  Thank goodness for a wonderful husband that took care of food when he got home.

I did come across a couple of interesting recipes while feeding my Pinterest addiction (if you want to check out my boards you can find me here) that I’m going to try eventually.  I thought I would share the links with you.  Here they are…

The first one is from the blog This Primal Fanny, the name cracks me up!  I’m finding that there are a lot of Paleo-style recipes out there that match up well with my need for GF eating.  Anyway, the recipe on this one is Primal Bacon Spinach Cream Cheese Stuffed Portabella.  The name of the recipe just made my mouth water, even before reading the ingredient list!  I’m going to list the recipe here because I find it frustrating when I have to follow a bunch of links to get to what I’m looking for but thought I would provide the link to the site as well, she has lots of good pictures to go along with the recipe.  I can’t wait to try this one, it has everything I love in it, bacon, feta, spinach and mushrooms.  The only thing I may change up a bit is adding some finely chopped sundried tomatoes, I’m not sure about the paleo diet, those may not be allowed?

Ingredients

4 slices uncured bacon, cooked and chopped (I bake mine in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, and save all the fat for future cooking)
1/4 cup cream cheese
2 green onions or scallions, chopped
1/4 cup spinach
salt and pepper to taste
1 large portabella mushroom, stem removed and chopped
2 Tbsp. crumbled feta


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine bacon, cream cheese, onions, spinach, salt and pepper,  and chopped mushroom stem in a small bowl. Lay mushroom top-side down on lightly greased baking sheet (I actually used a pie plate), and pile bacon cream cheese mixture inside.

Sprinkle crumbled feta on top. Bake in preheated oven approximately 20 minutes, or until feta begins to brown.


The second recipe is a dessert recipe because I just need to have something sweet every once in a while.  I have been experimenting with raw agave syrup.  So far I have liked it, though it does take a little getting used to.  This recipe is for Chocolate Frosting Shots, it’s from the blog Chocolate Covered Katie…doesn’t the title just make you want to head on over and see what else is there?  I’m going to just post the link on this one, you need to check out her site.  When I do try the recipe I will let you know how it goes.  It’s chocolate, how could it go poorly?

There are a million different places to find GF recipes on the web, go to Google yourself and find out.  I also like taking recipes that have gluten in them and converting them over so that I can have them.  Just make sure that you have educated yourself about ingredients and what you should/should not eat.  I say should/should not because I knowingly took a bite of something at a dinner last week that I knew had gluten in it.  I did it because I wanted it, really wanted to try it, so I had a little tiny bit, about a tablespoon size bite.  I had a little discomfort but it was worth it because I so wanted to taste it.  Sometimes you just gotta take the bite and pay for it later, it's all about what your priorities are.  I think for me, because I stay away from gluten pretty much 99% of the time, when I want one little bite I can do it.  I'm sure there are tons of people out there that can't, I'm lucky enough to be one that can.  Sure, I will be tired and achy for a day or so, but sometimes it's just plain worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment