Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Going Gluten-Free

The beginning of the transition to gluten-free and moderate-carb (for my diabetic husband) eating began over the weekend.  I had some headaches, I’m thinking that’s because my body is just getting rid of what it perceives as toxins any way that it can now that I’m not putting more in. 

Overall it was a good weekend and beginning to the week.  It has been a good easing into the new way of eating.  It will take some time for me to really get good at this, but I know it is going to make me feel better, which is the best motivator.  On Saturday I went through my pantry and refrigerator and threw out anything with gluten in it, I was amazed at everything that has it.  Then, the trip to the grocery store took a while because I had to read any label I came across.  It is so much easier when in the produce section where you don’t have to read a label, and at the meat counter as well.  I’m still a little stunned just how much has some form of gluten in it.  No wonder I was feeling so awful!

Yesterday I had a little trouble with dizziness.  It didn’t occur to me that by going moderate carb I would need to watch my electrolytes (for those of you that haven’t experienced it, you lose a lot of water fast).  My husband made me weigh myself last night because I was dizzy, I lost 11 pounds between Friday and Monday evening.  Not good and not healthy.  Though I do believe part of it has been my body getting rid of what it sees as toxins.

Here’s to a new day…one great side-effect is that I’m thinking more clearly, there is less “brain-fog”, it’s fantastic!  Next step is adding exercise back into my morning routine as my energy finally starts to come back.  I’m really looking forward to getting back on my treadmill, I actually miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment