Monday, May 6, 2013

Chicken Tenders

I haven’t been good about posting in here lately; it seems there is always something else to do.  I suppose that’s how life is; priorities vary based on whatever is going on around you.  Things are busy and stressful here so I have made a conscious effort to do only what I can without jeopardizing my sanity and my health.

I had a busy weekend, we went to a concert Friday night (The Black Keys, amazing!), did a bunch of chores Saturday, Sunday we decided to go see Iron Man 3 (pretty good, left me wondering if there will be another).  When we got home I went to the kitchen and spent the rest of the day cooking and prepping food for the week. 

Today I thought I would share a recipe I came up with after looking through several online sources for ideas for “fried” chicken strips.  A friend had them at lunch the other day; they used to be a normal thing I would get at a restaurant before I went GF because they were generally hard to mess up.  I didn’t realize that I had been missing them until she ordered them.  So, on Saturday I was determined to have fried chicken tenders and I was going to figure out how to do it.  Never mind I haven’t ever deep fried anything in my life, amazing considering I have lived in the south for nearly 9 years.  Here’s the result of my chicken tender craving:

Chicken Tenders
Servings: 3-4

Ingredients:
1 lb. chicken breasts cut into “tenders” size pieces
½ C gluten free flour (I found the King Arthur brand at Kroger)
3 eggs
2 T milk (honestly, I used the half and half I have for coffee, I didn’t have milk)
1.5 C of ground up Corn Chex cereal (the GF kind!)
¼ C grated parmesan
1.5 tsp. salt
1.5 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
½ tsp. cayenne powder (you can omit this if you don’t like heat, or add more if you do!)
Hot sauce of your choice (I prefer Cholula)

Directions:
1.      Remove chicken from the refrigerator, season with 1 tsp. salt and pepper
2.      Put the flour along with ½ tsp. salt and pepper along with the garlic powder, paprika and cayenne powder into a dish, mix well
3.      Beat the eggs in another dish with whatever amount of hot sauce you would like
4.      In another bowl add the ground Chex cereal with the parmesan and mix well
a.       Note on the Chex cereal, to get it to the consistency of a panko breadcrumbs I just throw it into my mini chopper and pulse until it is the size I want
5.      Preheat oven to 300 degrees
6.      Heat the oil to 350 degrees in whatever you are frying in, I opted for a shallow fry in my electric skillet
7.      Start breading, drop the tenders into the flour, coat, then pick them up and shake the excess flour off and drop into the egg/milk mixture, when it is coated let the excess drip off them put into the cereal/parmesan mixture.
8.      As you bread each piece lay them out on a sheet or a plate, once everything is breaded start with the ones that you breaded first (the time allows the breading to stick better)
9.      Add several pieces into the hot oil one at a time, being sure to do it away from you so you don’t splash yourself with hot oil
10.  Cook for 6-8 minutes, turning once to ensure even browning (cooking time really depends on the size of your tenders, larger ones require longer, smaller a shorter time)
11.  When you remove it from the oil place on a cooling rack on a baking sheet in an oven that has been preheated to about 300 degrees, you can keep adding the chicken as you go, the oven will finish any cooking needed and keep everything warm
12.  The result should be a brown crispy coating with tender juicy chicken on the inside….it was just what I was craving! (And I didn’t burn down my kitchen, I was a little worried about that).

Happy Monday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment