Saturday, February 9, 2013

Gluten Free Travel Isn't Easy

This morning I was reflecting on my week.  It was a little long; I started the week with travel.  Unfortunately, one of the problems with traveling is I have to eat out eventually.  I do take snacks with me, usually at least a couple of GF protein bars. Eventually though, you have to eat out.

I ended up with gluten, somewhere.  I’m sure it was the restaurant with the waitress that cocked her head and looked at me like I had three eyes when I told her to tell the cook that I had a gluten allergy.  I explained as best I could and told her to have the cook talk with me if he had questions.  I ordered something safe, salad with grilled chicken, oil and vinegar for the dressing, explaining that I couldn’t have any croutons.  When the salad came the chicken didn’t look right and it had croutons.  I told the waitress I couldn’t eat the salad with the croutons and she told me that was ok, I could just take them off…..sigh, more education.  I also asked her to ask the cook if there was anything he put on the chicken other than salt/pepper.  I’m not sure she ever asked, and I’m pretty sure there was flour involved.  This is why I don’t eat out much anymore.

Anyway, that meant for a miserable few days getting the poison out of my system.  Not a fun process, but a necessary one.  I don’t know if anyone else out there has a way of doing it, I would love to hear from you if you do.  For me, I get a lot of liquids…broth, water, green tea.  I am also very careful about what I eat.  That’s gotten me really thinking about what I eat in general.  I have been eating better, but I can do even better.  I need to eat as clean as I can, respect that my body needs me to take good care of it.

Every week I put together a menu of meals so that I know what to buy when I hit the grocery store (or farmer’s market in season).  I don’t know if I mentioned it but my husband is a type 2 diabetic, the menu also reflects that need for less carbohydrates overall which really isn’t all that difficult since I’m GF J

I’m going to attempt some baking this weekend, I’m not a great baker so I’m a little nervous about it…..wish me luck, if the recipe turns out good I will share it!

Happy Saturday all!

No comments:

Post a Comment