Monday, March 18, 2013

Grape "Salad" and Spring Fever

We had a beautiful spring weekend here in middle Tennessee and now I have Spring fever!  Saturday it was sunny and in the high 70s, yesterday it was sunny and not quite as warm.  I did too much over the weekend and ended up not getting everything I was hoping to accomplish done.  But I had a lot of fun!

Saturday I visited a bunch of estate sales with a friend.  I picked up some great club chairs for my living room for only $50, total, not each, a great deal!  I also found some other fun things for my art supplies, old sewing patterns and sheet music.  I think those things would be fun in cards or other art projects.  I got some large soup mugs for work so I can stop wasting paper plates and a Good Housekeeping cookbook that was published in the 1940s (I’m a sucker for old cookbooks).  It was a fun day, time spent out in the sun and finding some great deals!

Sunday was a great day too, I worked in the yard for most of the day.  Mostly raking, pine needles and pinecones, cleaning out the mulch and leaves that protected my flower beds in the front of the house (the hydrangeas survived the winter and have lots of buds, I’m SO excited about it!).  I wanted to plant some pansies but ran out of gas after also cleaning off our back patio.  It was an active day but a lot of fun.

I didn’t do a lot of cooking this weekend, which is unusual for me.  Usually weekends are my cooking time.  I made a GF chicken nuggets recipe using Bisquick GF mix, they turned out pretty good.  We had those along with some oven baked fries and salad on Saturday night.  On Sunday we decided to go out for a late lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant (where I know I can go because they understand how to cook GF, the chef once told me that using flour is for lazy chefs….I loved that!).  Chicken fajitas with corn tortillas along with pico and guacamole, yummy!

I don’t have a recipe to share today that I have actually made myself but I thought I would share the grape salad recipe that I had at a baby shower last week, it was so good I want to make some for me, but I will have to cut down the quantities, it makes a lot! The only change I may make when I make it is to cut back a bit on the white sugar or even use a sugar substitute or agave syrup.  I’m not sure where she got the recipe, if it looks familiar to someone and you know where it comes from let me know so I can give proper credit.  Try this, it’s a good one!

Grape “Salad”
(one serving is about ¾ C)

Ingredients
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 pounds seedless red grapes
  • 2 pounds seedless green grapes
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons chopped pecans

Directions
  • In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar and vanilla until blended. Add grapes and toss to coat.
  • Transfer to a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Sprinkle with brown sugar and pecans just before serving. Yield: 21-24 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment